Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mobile Technology

Hello everyone! I hope it has been a good few weeks for everyone! Not too much to report, the job search is still continuing and still fighting the good fight! Today's blog entry, I figured I would talk a bit about mobile technology..expanding on what was talked about in #SAChat, which is very addictive, might I add!! Today's chat they talked about mobile technology in student affairs. Definitely a topic close to my heart, because currently I am working in the field of mobile technology. I wish that cell phones had been more available when I was last involved in the field, it certainly could have made some situations easier, such as needing to get a hold of an RA or a member of security at a moment's notice. These days, cell phones can do so many things it is remarkable. I would be very surprised to come across a professional that doesn't have a smartphone in some way, shape or form. I think it is a necessity at this point and it seems that it is almost a requirement to have some sort of rudimentary knowledge of how to navigate around a phone. I have a Palm Pre, which I love..( I love it even more now that I have a decent charger!) and one of the first functions that I started using was the scheduler on it. I can't wait to get back in the field to take full advantage of it..certainly beats posting reminders all around my cubicle like I used to do or write things down in an appointment book that I couldn't find half the time! Something else I love on a smartphone are applications, they come very much in handy! I downloaded mobile apps of LinkedIn and Twitter and I have been able to get leads on jobs without even needing to be near my computer! Another helpful option that I like on a smartphone is the use of data. I think it is important to be able to get on certain websites very quickly and access information. Data plans can be a bit pricey but I think for professionals, it is worth it to be able to come and go on the internet with ease. I think I am going to make this entry two parts so keep your eye out for more info! I can talk about this all night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment