Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Awesomeness of Twitter

Hello everyone! Welcome again to another entry of the Fishbowl! I am still searching for a student affairs job but I actually am really feeling connected with the field of student affairs and residence life and that is thanks to....(horns blowing) Twitter!!

Yes..Twitter. Which I found out is an amazing way to network with professionals that previously you would have been unable to do or do in limited capacities (networking events, conferences) I feel you really get to connect with them on a level that you could not do before. I used to be dead set against Twitter and as a matter of fact, I used to be proud that I hadn't used it before! What a moron I was! LOL! Twitter reminds me of something that one of my college professors used to say..You get out of something, what you put into it. Twitter is exactly like that. You can't just sign up, mention you are job searching and then expect something to happen. Unless you are lottery winner lucky...or even lottery winner twice lucky! You need to meet people, connect with them, get involved in conversations, if people ask for help, ask them what you can do. You might be very surprised with the response! I think you also need to develop a strategy if you want to successfully network on Twitter. I wouldn't constantly post every day that you are looking for a job..I think that would be annoying. Once a week seems to be the standard for something like that. I think you also want to get new followers before you do any more postings. Always expand your network. If the same ten followers get the same mention every week, no one benefits from that. Always try to get new followers and never dismiss the connection. Maybe it isn't a hiring manager that you are talking with, but you never know who someone else knows. Finally, I feel I have already benefited from Twitter. I don't have a job yet but I have connected with a lot of great people and professionals. I found out about a few jobs exclusively through Twitter and had one professional offer to email them my resume and they would keep their eyes open. I appreciate that so much and I dont think I would have experienced any of that if I had not been on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment